- Educate students from diverse cultures to achieve excellence in their intellectual and personal development.
- Provide a dynamic and enriched American curriculum taught by qualified, dedicated, and caring staff.
- Work in partnership with families to prepare students to flourish in higher education and become responsible, productive global citizens.
- Strive towards continuous and sustained improvement in the quality of its educational services.
The American International School of Niamey (AISN) is committed to the pursuit of excellence in education while nurturing the learner, the learning process, and the quality of relationships among its stakeholders. AISN is committed to fostering an active cooperation among school constituents to meet students’ general and specific learning needs, as well as a genuine appreciation for the richness of diverse gender, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, within a constructivist learning philosophy(1).
Therefore, our dynamic multicultural curriculum, enhanced by the integration of emerging technologies(2), will promote students’ creativity and critical thinking skills, as well as their communication and problem solving skills. Quality education of the whole person at AISN aims at developing intellectual, cultural, social, physical and emotional growth.
AISN also believes that all staff and students should be valued as individuals, and that they have the right to a safe and challenging learning environment. This will be achieved through developing a sense of respect and appreciation that prepares students for responsible, global citizenship.
- Constructivist learning philosophy: Constructivism is a philosophy of learning founded on the premise that, by reflecting on our experiences, we construct our own understanding of the world we live in. Each of us generates our own “rules” and “mental models,” which we use to make sense of our experiences. Learning, therefore, is simply the process of adjusting our mental models to accommodate new experiences. (Retrieved on March 26, 2007 from http://www.funderstanding.com/constructivism.cfm)
- Emerging Technologies: latest and most up-to-date technologies (software and hardware).
- Provide students with a safe and caring environment.
- Continually pursue academic excellence within a curriculum that meets the current academic, cultural, technological, and social needs of our diverse student body.
- Develop responsible individuals who possess the ability to think clearly, logically and independently as participating members of a self-governing society.
- Provide a program of student activities designed to foster social interaction in an atmosphere of mutual respect and cooperation.
- Enhance understanding of global issues, human diversity and world cultures.
- Recruit highly qualified, motivated and sensitive staff members with training and experience appropriate to their primary assignments and provide opportunities and support for professional development.
- Accommodate the varying needs of individuals so that all students, within practical limits, achieve growth consistent with their capabilities.
- Accept students if they will benefit substantially from the education offered within the physical, financial, and human resource limits of the school.
- Foster parent awareness and involvement in the school community.
- Be a responsible member of the Nigérien community.
- Maintain a self-sufficient financial position and contingency resources against unforeseen circumstances.